Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Blog if you want to...

















Last night we had Dan's Saturday Night Special.
It does not matter that the picture above is slightly blurry, because this is not much to look at, really. But it's good and fast. This is a further riff on the Cheaze Sauce I tried.

Dan's Saturday Night Special

1 can white beans (I used cannellini)
1/4 C + 2 T nutritional yeast
1/4 C pimento/cooked sweet red pepper
2 t chicken flavor powder
1 t lemon juice
1 t onion powder
1/2 t prepared yellow mustard
1/2 t salt
2 C water

Blend in blender.

1 onion, chopped
1 T oil
1 can corn
1/2 can diced tomatoes
1 C minute rice
1 pkt Boca ground beef

Saute onion, add corn, onion, rice, ground beef and sauce and mix well.
Bring to a boil, covered. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring often, until rice is just tender (10m or so). Remove from heat and cover 5m or so. Serve right out of the pot. Mmmm.

Gave up on Jackfish. Started Dies the Fire by Stirling. Whee! Escapist literature (well, literature may be a stretch)! The question is, would YOU survive if suddenly electricity and guns didn't work? Practiced your swordplay lately?

I am thinking about trying this seitan, but it sort of seems intimidating... for more information about developing your gluten, see here... uhhh, gee. I get sort of flummoxed when recipes give me options but don't tell me what the difference might be. It's like, oh crap, if I don't allow the gluten to develop overnight in the refrigerator, then my seitan will be subpar!! Oh noes!! But if I do refrigerate the seitan overnight to develop the gluten, then I need to cook it longer in the crockpot because it's cold, but how long!!! Augh! Then I have to remember to tell myself to chill out. And I found this recipe and maybe I'll sort of mix 'n match or something.

I am now contemplating new stitches for the short rows scarf. No, I could not leave well enough alone, you know that!

No comments: