Friday, June 13, 2008

Business As Usual

















Well, this was supposed to have looked a lot different than it did, folks, but I ran out of time! It's Kibbeh and it came from this post. What I ended up serving was the mixture before you let it cool, knead it and mix it and then shape it into ovals. What can I say... I have two small children? Yes, that's it.

Kibbeh

1 C red lentils
2 1/2 C water
1/2 C fine grain bulghur (#2 grade)*
2 T olive oil
1 onion, diced fine
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 t tomato paste (I used 1 T ketchup, I cannot tell a lie)
1 1/2 t paprika (could have used more)
1 t tarragon
1 t salt
pepper to taste
1/2 t lemon juice

*or grind it in a coffee grinder

Ideally you are supposed to cook the lentils in the water until they are mushy (20-30m), meanwhile sauteing the onions and garlic, and then dump the lentils over the bulghur and let that set for half an hour. But I was in a hurry, so I nuked 2 C of water 'til boiling (5 min in my microwave in a 2 C pyrex measuring cup) and dumped that over the bulghur while the lentils cooked. Then I drained the bulghur and dumped it into the pot where I had mixed the onions, garlic, spices and red lentils and cooked it until it was thick.

You can make lots of different kinds of kibbeh- with potato, in a tray, with pumpkin (scroll down, it's in the comments), or even in soup.

I even found this recipe which made me curious about sumac, and got me thinking about those sumac growing up at my parents-in-law! I call ultimate locavore if I grind my own sumac and use it!

Well, that's it for today... no reading yesterday and some knitting. Making some progress again after changing it all up one more time.

No comments: