Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Paprikash with Dumplings

Paprikash with Dumplings

This was heavily modified from this recipe. I left out the mushrooms and subbed in garbazo beans because of the resident mushroom hater, ditto on the sour cream but we love stuff with paprika enough to give it a try and was I glad I did! We eat Tofu Paprikash and this is another paprika dish that will feature heavily in our rotation. I have tried and failed in the past to make dumplings, but with a stern warning not to take the cover off for 10m I was lifted into the realm of accomplished dumpling makers! Hooray!

I also added 1 T of sugar because the paprika paste I have is not quite what I'm after and it needed a little help. So if'n youse just use sweet Hungarian paprika powder, you'll be fine.

Paprikash

2 T oil (8)
1 onion, chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 T sugar (1)
2 T paprika paste (or 1 T paprika powder)
1 can garbanzo beans (6)

Dumplings

2 C flour (16)
2 t baking powder
1 t salt
3 T Earth Balance (9)
1/4 C soymilk/water

For the paprikash, saute the onion, then garlic. Add paprika and sugar, mix well. Add garbanzos, undrained, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 20m.

Meanwhile, get a big pot, I mean the biggest, of water to the boil. We used the big pot we use to boil up a whole dozen ears of corn. It's a pot my father claims he got when Johnson Wax stopped making their own paste for labels and got rid of the glue pots. So it's a glue pot, basically.

Mix flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in Earth Balance until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in soymilk/water and keep adding a little water until you have a dough that holds together. Knead, then roll out to 2 finger width snake and divide into 12. Cover with flour, place on plate and slide into pot of boiling water. Cover and lower heat a bit (keep it boiling, you just don't want it to boil over) and boil for 10m without taking the lid off. Remove with slotted spoon and add to paprika mixture. Mix gently and serve.

Notes;
yum! and very filling.
will try to do smaller dumplings next time (thumb width snake and divide into 24).

Scored big time at the thrift store yesterday! Anxiously awaiting the dryer to be done. Also got these massive muffin tins that look like they served someone really well. Plus two nice mixing bowls, from an old Hamilton Beach mixer, sans mixer. I had to get them because they said, Made in Racine, Wisconsin, and that's my hometown.

Stopped reading "The Medusa Frequency" by Russell Hoban. Okay, I kept thinking, this can't be the same author as "Bread and Jam for Frances", but it is. That is hilarious. One of my favorite children's authors writes science fiction! I'll have to look into Pilgermann or one of his others when I have a chance. Right now my head is just not in the right place for this. Good writing, though. I just need something a little more straightforward, that's all. Right now the main character is talking to a rotting head.

So I started "The Way of All Flesh" by Samuel Butler, which is pretty interesting.

No knitting. Oh wait, I did sit down and decide that the fabric is definately biasing. So I'm going to reverse the pattern every four rows to get it to wave. Hope that works.

No comments: