Thursday, October 09, 2008

In A Fresh Way

What We Had For Dinner Last Night

Pesto!! I didn't look up measurements, so I used 1/4 C for everything!! 1/4 C olive oil, 1/4 C nutritional yeast, 1/4 C walnuts...

Veganmofo, what can I say for you today? I would like to speak about my perception that the vegan movement today is not rigid and sanctimonious. Everyone does their best and no one is 100% perfect. That is a very risky statement, because it almost seems to invite less than a full adherence to the vegan lifestyle. But, it's a great statement- many, many religions and branches of religions have failed, failed, failed at this (not that I'm saying veganism is a religion, I'm just talking from personal experience about trying to live a perfect lifestlye). The feeling I get from vegans is that of encouragement!!! And I can't say how glad that makes me. Instead of coming down on a person (no one likes to feel like a failure), vegans encourage each other to do their best. They share resources and information. That is great. The end.

Whoah, Terry Pratchett fans! Gee, I checked my analytics and the day after I posted about reading "The Wee Free Men" my numbers spiked!! I think it was 'cause of this site.

I did kind of mis-speak and say that I couldn't get into the Discworld series, but the books I read are actually part of Discworld- a parralell storyline, I believe.

Gosh, I feel like I should say something of more importance... like, um, the main character is a witch, and there's this one spot where they talk about why it's important to take care of the less fortunate and I liked the themes about doing what's right and being a good person. I really liked the cool female protagonist and I can't wait until my girls are old enough to read these. That's high praise. I do love me a fairy tale and it's nice to see someone doing them in a fresh way.

I read these in a little cabin on the shores of Lake Superior, mostly by candlelight, an ideal setting. I think there's another one in this series coming out. Can't wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MM... pesto's always my standby as I'm lucky enough to get big bunches every week in my CSA basket! It's good everytime and on pretty much everything. And as an aspiring vegan I totally agree, especially the online community, has been fantastic! So many resources. YAY! Happy Vegan MoFo! :)