Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sloppy, they are.

WWHFDLN

'Sloppy Joes' based off of Snobby Joes from "Veganomicon".

I had made sloppy joes once before using red lentils (can't remember what recipe I used) and was like 'meh', but for some reason I liked these!! Pretty basic, folks. What can I say? Well, considering a bag of Morningstar Farms fake 'ground beef' is like, $3.oo or something, it may just replace our Saturday night Manwich nights. It just takes a little longer to make, is all. Pretty sloppy, they are.

1 C red lentils, rinsed
4 C water
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T oil
1/4 C ketchup
2 T HP sauce
2 t oregano, crumbled
1 t chili powder
1 t salt
1/4 t mustard (the dry kind)

Saute onion, then garlic*. Add lentils and all ingredients except water and mix well. Add water and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered 20m or so until lentils are tender. Simmer, uncovered, until thick enough to sort of be piled onto a bun.

So, I bailed on "Victoria"- man alive, I mean, I'll read lots of innocuous crap, really, as long as it's mildly entertaining, but this was so. hard. to. read. Pretensious much?

So, so glad I had "Little, Big" waiting in the wings. I am a grumpy person if the book I'm reading turns out to be bad and I don't have anything else to fall back on. Hooray for InterLibrary Loan and my perspicaciously going and picking it up right away! Just barely into it and enjoying the juxtaposition of language and scenario- old and new, fantastic and mundane.

*do you know, once I did one of those word cloud thingys on my blog and the biggest words were like, garlic and onion? Ha ha haaaa...

No comments: