Thursday, July 24, 2008

You Loon!


Well, yesterday was a blast, we went to a new park by us and it was really nice!! Can you believe we saw little fish in the water and some loons on the lake while the kids splashed in the water? Sweet, sweet Minnesota!

Last night we had Pumpkin Kibbeh, I found the recipe here. It was pretty good, I'll use less pepper next time, I think. It was pretty peppery. So from 1/2 t it has been changed to 'to taste'- how's that for diplomatic? I thought it was pretty good, but my husband, D., was not a fan. Alas. Perhaps I will search at the coop for fine bulghur to see if that's what I had or not. Also, in googling for this recipe just now, I came across all these ones that were stuffed, and that sounds a lot more fun and good. Maybe I'll try that next time.

1 can pumpkin (2)
1 C fine bulghur (8)
1 t coriander
1 t allspice
1 t cumin
1 t salt
pepper to taste
1 med onion
4 cloves garlic
1/2 C flour (4)
1 T olive oil (4)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Boil 2 C water and pour the 1 C of bulghur in. Let sit while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
Process everything except that last T of oil until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
Pour into a greased 8 - 9" casserole and smooth flat. Pour 1 T olive oil over the top, spreading it so it covers the surface. Bake 20 - 25m until top is dry and deep brown. Alternately, make into patties and fry.

Finished "The Gate to Women's Country"- that was quick! See, I can't figure out if it's just that I don't like the heavy axe she's grinding or if it really is that she has just written a book soley to grind said axe. That, I do not like.

Of course I can think of authors that I love that have wierd themes they always write about- Ray Bradbury, for example, and his love/obsession with small towns and carnivals and so forth. His obsession, shall we say, fuels great ideas and his talent for writing makes for great stories about said obsessions. With Tepper, (this last one was better than "The Visitor" was, btw) I feel like she had this idea- "Women are oppressed" and then she just dragged me along through the whole book for it. Maybe I should go read some Margaret Atwood or something to compare.

Have started Stirling's next book in the series I'm reading through, A Meeting in Corvallis, I think it's called.

No comments: