Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Are They Always Like This?

Well, here's what we had for supper last night. It's pretty weird, but it was really good. In order to not have pasta again, I put pesto over rice. The tofu was the other half I had frozen and then thawed. I cubed it up and let it marinate in the romaine pesto. In fact, this time when I made the romaine pesto, I skipped the nutritional yeast and it was fine! I just threw all the romaine we had into the big bowl of the food processor, a few cloves of garlic, chopped, 1/4 C walnuts and then blended. Then I scraped down the sides and added 1 T of olive oil. Mmmm. I don't know why I'm so taken with this romaine pesto, but I guess it's just the child in me, "Teehee, I made pesto from lettuce!".

I've been running around like crazy getting ready for this camping trip, yesterday I made a big batch of hummus, some olive tapenade, and some bean dip. Then I mixed up my flax crackers and made some pitas, and I made the batter for the Morning Glory muffins. This time with dried apricot. Last night around 10pm found me in the kitchen, bent over the hot, hot (425?) stove makin' crackers. This time was much more efficient- I tried using tin foil instead of baking them one at a time on the baking stone (can you imagine, opening and closing the oven 12 times?!?) and so this time only had to do three batches. It worked just fine, but you've really got to poke those holes in them with the fork or the steam builds up.

Today I bake the muffins (why did I make such a big batch?) and I need to get our suppers figured out and prepped. Gonna make the black bean burgers from Veganomicon. Gotta pick up some more muffin tins and some hamburger buns.

No reading, well, very minimal. Enough to realize that Saramago doesn't use quotation marks to show who's talking and his paragraphs are insanely long. Is it like this for all his books? Three of his other books are on the 1,001 books to read before you die list...

No knitting (ha!).

3 comments:

Mallika said...

Very creative! For a change, I sometimes grill fish with a pesto topping.

elizabeth said...

Yeah, it was pretty fun to try a different way to eat pesto! I also liked the parsley pesto I tried over the weekend! It's such a good way to use up all those herbs...

Anonymous said...

If you're interested, there's a brand new version of Arukiyomi's 1001 books spreadsheet. Along with some cool new features, there are lists of both the revised 1001 books and those that were removed from the new 2008 list.

To get your free copy of the spreadsheet, head over to Arukiyomi's blog.

Happy reading!